[ST] ST for a Trophy

I bought my 00 Sprint ST one year ago, trading in my 96 Trophy 900 for it.  As I have posted many times on this list, I love the ST, having put nearly 10,000 miles on it over the past year, including two long
round trips (2,600 miles each) 2-up, including the entire BRP for one leg.  The ST has been flawless mechanically, and it handles well, and looks great.

However, I am in the process of swapping with another fellow who has a Trophy 900, and is looking to trade for an ST.

Much as I love the ST, and I have absolutely no complaints about it, I miss the Trophy.  I realize everyone else is going in the opposite direction, but the Trophy still has a lot going for it, spine frame and
topheaviness and all.  I am doing more long distance riding now, and I find I miss the better weather protection of the Trophy - noisy screen and all.  We live in upstate NY, and the full weather protection of
the Trophy really helps extend the riding season up here.  Also, I have to say that on the open road, holding a steady 85 or so, the Trophy corners like it is on rails.  The extra weight that hurts it in the
parking lot really helps when just droning along putting on the miles.  The ST certainly handles well too, but the Trophy is more solid under those conditions.  Of course, it can't hold a candle to the ST on
flatout running on twisty backroads.

I will miss the fuel injection and the mileage, although my old 900 always gave me 45-50 mpg (US).  I also had some problems with the ST giving me a pain in the shoulder and numbness in my right arm on long
trips, although some of that was lack of excercise on my part before taking off for a week of riding.  Overall, in some ways, the ST is the more comfortable bike, although in other riding, the Trophy is more
relaxed.  It is really a matter of opinion, but the Trophy is certainly a very competent machine.

If I were 25, instead of 50, I would never sell the ST - it would be the bike of my dreams.  However, call it becoming old, I miss the riding style of the Trophy, and decided I wanted her back.  I also have to
admit, that the lines of the Trophy are very pleasing, while the ST, beautiful as it is, could still use a little more uniqueness.  I hope Triumph keeps moving in the direction of making their styling more
different, rather than more similar to the mainstream (but no sharp angles!).  The lines of the Trophy are still quite beautiful, at least I think so - although their color choice has never been very good - but
that is a thread for another day.

Anyway, the ST is gone, and I am looking forward to riding the new Trophy over a quick 2 days/1,500 miles or so home from Dallas, hopefully cutting up through the Ozarks, then through Tenn/Kentucky, hitting
Southeast Ohio, where I have heard so many good things about the roads, then over through West Virginia and up through PA on home.  It's kind of like taking your old wife back - I am sure I will be fighting with
her over the seat being uncomfortable, and the windscreen being noisy, but overall, I think I will be feeling more at home with her.   I look at it as giving up a sexy Redhead for a buxom Platinum blonde who can
cook.  At my age, I am starting to enjoy the cooking more.

This has been a great list, and I will probably lurk around, but will be busy working on fixing all the little irritations of the Trophy that make married life so satisfying.  She really has a great heart you
know.

Rick Hartwick
bikeless for the moment
No wait - 81 Seca 400 (stolen from my son when he doesn't ride)

End of st-digest V2002 #145