[ST] Re: SoCal Insurance Rates

  D'oh!  I knew that I forgot something important.  I live in Anaheim,
which is actually in Orange County, not LA, but most outsiders would
still call this in the LA area.
  From here, It is about 45 min. to either the Santa Monica Mtns,
Glendora Ridge, or Angeles Crest, depending on which way I go.  Ortega
Hwy. is a little closer, but hardly worth it unless I get there really
early (before the freeway type of car traffic).  For a longer day, I can
go to Julian via Palomar Mtn. to the South, or up to Hwy. 33 to the
North.  I also commute on the RS every day.
  Yes, there are a lot of nice roads in SoCal.  Thanks to the lister
that posted the link to <pashnit.com>  I have it bookmarked for when I
am stuck at home, and need to get a fix, or plan the next weekend ride.
  Sorry If I made any of you jealous with this post.  Just to be fair, I
should include the downside.  There is a LOT of traffic around here, and
too damn many idiots on cell phones who could not drive worth a damn
even if they did not have the thing stuck to their ear.  One has to be
serious about rider education, avoidance maneuvers, and street smarts to
survive around here.  "Casual" riders usually get bit in the ass before
too long.  Pretending that you are invisible is a good idea, as well as
looking at avoidance maneuvers as another one of Motorcycling's little
challenges.  Getting through a potentially dangerous traffic situation
can feel just as rewarding as tackling a tricky section of twisty road,
if you approach it with a certain point of view.
  A special note regarding Sprints (and most modern Triumphs):  Make it
a point to practice maximum braking in a clean parking lot before you
really need it out on the road.  These brakes are VERY powerful, and can
get you into trouble faster than you can say "stoppie" if you are not
used to them.
  Let's all stay safe and have fun out there, no matter where we ride.
Happy Sprinting to all.

Wes

End of st-digest V2002 #167