[ST] Sprint ST Scottoiler installation

G'day folks.

My first post, so here's some quick background info on myself:
- - Reside in Melbourne, Australia.
- - Been riding bikes for ~15 years.
- - History: Z250, CX500, XJ900, FJ1200, R1100GS, '01 Sprint ST, plus various
trials bikes.
- - bought the ST about a month ago.
Nuff said.

Reason for post - to detail my experience with installing the Scottoiler
chain lubrication system.

After owning a couple of shafties I was not at all interested in doing the
chain-lube-shuffle once more, so decided the Scottoiler looked the goods.
Below are a few comments on how I installed the various components.

(All terminology is as per Scottoiler fitting instructions, available from
scottoiler.co.uk website)

Unit purchased - Mk 7 Universal kit.

Reservoir Metering Valve unit (RMV) -
I mounted the main unit in the space to the RHS of the battery compartment,
using the RMV Bolt On Clamp set. To mount the clamp to the thick plastic
wall of the compartment I removed the sidepanels and drilled a hole through
the thick plastic wall to take the bolt of the clamp.
The RMV sits at an angle, with the breather hose looping around the rear of
the computer unit.

Vacuum tubing -
You MUST get the extra T-piece, not normally supplied in the Universal kit.
The retailer should have it; cost me AUD$12.
You will need to remove the tank and cut into the corrugated plastic tubing
between throttle bodies 2 and 3 to fit the T-piece.
Check the photo on the T595 site -
http://www.t595.net/kb/articles/q0000007.asp as this shows you how and where
to fit the T-piece.
According to the Scottoiler website, some Triumph owners were a bit careless
with routing the thin vacuum tubing, and there were cases of stuck (open)
throttles. The fix is simple - cable tie the thin vacuum tubing (leading
from the T-piece to the RMV) to the corrugated hose.
I routed the vacuum tubing down the LHS of the bike, following the radiator
overflow hoses then looped it around behind the computer unit, into the top
of the RMV.

Dispenser assembly -
I used two small cable ties to attach the Dispenser assembly to the metal
chain guard thing that hangs below the swingarm near the rear sprocket. A
bit of bending of the Dispenser assembly (it has a piece of wire in it to
retain the shape) had the end of the tube just above the chain about 5mm
from the sprocket teeth.

Delivery tubing -
Working back from the Dispenser assembly end, the Delivery tubing ran
straight up the side of the swingarm and across the top to the rear exit of
the black plastic sleeve that hides the rear brake line.  If you loosen the
black sleeve the Delivery tubing will fit beneath it and then sit atop the
brake line all the way forward along the swingarm. Very neat!
>From there I simply cable-tied the Delivery tubing to the brake line as it
followed it around the front of the rear shock, then near the rear brake
master cylinder routed it upwards to connect to the bottom of the RMV.

The whole install took me probably 5 hours, including probably 1.5 hrs
determining the best spot for the RMV.  I looked at under the tailpiece but
decided next to the battery was easier to access. Besides, I reckon I can
cram a pair of rain pants under that tailpiece!

As for adjustment, it is currently set between "2" and "3", which equates to
about 1 drip per minute. No problems so far, but I've only done about 500
kms / 5 hours riding since fitting.

Once you get into it the install is very straightforward. If anyone
desparately wants a photo of any part of the above email me and I'll see
what I can do with the trusty digital camera. (But not under the tank - I'm
not taking that off again!)

Regards,

Keith
- --