[ST] VIN q's

Having seen the VIN from one of our newest member's bike, I thought I'd look
at my title and see what it might reveal.

Upon review, I don't really understand his ST's number as mine is quite a
bit dfferent. Lemme illustrate. My VIN and his, comparison (save the last
few digits), is:

SMT605FM2YJ098---
SMTTF600MHY092364

The build date is stamped on the left side of the headstock as being 3DEC99

I figured the "T605" in mine indicated the model number, "F" might be the
color (Racing Yellow), and someone else suggests the "Y" is the model year
2000. Given the ST and RS are both T695 models, why would there be so much
other variation in the serial numbering system? Any info out there? It's not
an important issue, just curiousity.

Ken M.
2000 RS