[ST] Tire mileage

Ken Mitchell said:
3rd set of BT-020's on my Sprint RS.  just ordered up a set of the new Metzeler
M-1 Sportec.

Stock tires looking OK at 6800 miles, just started to get a flat spot. little
over 7500 miles on, and the flat spot was now a 2 inch wide one! But, being the
foolhardy idiot I am, I rode on them until the new ones came in. By now the
front was cupped so bad and the rear so flat, I didn't need to
use the side stand to hold the bike up. New ones on at 8800 miles. Whew,
won't do THAT again.

Next set was swapped out at 17,786. That's just about 10,000 miles! No long
trips of droning down the highway, the tires were worn nice & even. They only
saw the track for one day. Wish I could get that mileage again. However, like
the 1st of BT-020's, once the rear started to get a flat spot they were gone
within 1000 miles.

Jay says:
My stock rear started to show a flat spot leaving for Americade '01, by arrival
the spot was >1.5 inches wide, I got scared and had them replaced. The front
wasn't too bad yet. 9900 miles replaced with Azarro II's

The Azarros rode very well and felt much stickier than the stocks, I was worried
what the tradeoff was. Rode them through the summer and really beat the front on
skyline drive (Blue ridge North from NC) in October.  The rear still looked good
so I just continued to ride.  I noticed that the back started to get less
stickier the longer I went but still not down to the bars.  About 2 weeks ago I
was out and I got sideways twice inside of 2 miles rolling on the power on a
damp road.......Time to go get the new tires mounted! 18000 miles on the nose

Mounted up a set of Dragon GTSs 2 weeks ago and it's been raining or snowing
since ;-(   only have about a hundred miles on them so far but they feel good.

Q: I feel I ride similarly to Ken (I have ridden a bit with him),  How do you
trash a tire in 3K on a Sprint ST? And no flames about learning to ride it right
please, I can turn a pretty good corner.

Jay Welsh
'00 Sapphire ST w/Pipeline 18k and no real mechanical problems to speak of (Yet)