[ST] re: Firearms thread & 2002 ST Tall Windscreen, Tire mileage & stuff

With regards to the firearms thread, I can only repeat what the Grand Master of Science Fiction, Robert A. Heinlein said: "When only cops have guns, it's called a 'police state.'"

On the Windscreen, I think this statement is a little too harsh: "Either your dealer is a liar or the windscreen attachment and shape changed from 2001 to 2002."  #5 on today's just recieved "Thoughts" provides some insight: "5. Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain."

My guess is the dealer personnel in question are more entranced with ignorance than with duplicity.

Well, enough of that.  I'm starting to consider trading my RS in on a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom.  Biggest reason: no local dealer, which makes it a huge hassle to get decent service.  There are four bikes in the Adventure Tourer category.  BMW1150GS (waaayyy too expensive), Aprilia CapoNord (no dealer), Triumph Tiger (no dealer) and Suzuki DL-1000.  The V-Strom is the least expensive, we have THREE dealerships here now.  My only question is whether or not its up to handling dirt and fire roads.

Mind you, I love my RS.  If the finances allowed, I'd merely add the V-Strom to the garage.  I've got just over 12K on the Sprint now in a little over a year.  I'm just getting sick of the service hassle, dropping the bike off when the dealership is 250+ miles away is not very convenient.

On to Tires: I got 9,000 miles out of the original rear.  I actually got a replacement set of Pirelli Dragons before I went on my September trip, but decided to wait until after I got back to mount them.  The rear got to the wear bars on that trip, so much so that I wasn't sure I'd be able to make the 450 mile drone from Salt Lake.  I'm still on the original front, but will be mounting the Dragon for the front soon, perhaps even this weekend....

As y'all may guess, I'm not very hard on my tires...

â??Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.â??