[ST] What I have found out about GPS's

Howdy,

	Many of you have requested that I post the responses to my
recent questions about GPS units. First, I asked about using a 9 pin
serial to USB adapter. The eTrex Vista unit I have can only transfer at
9600 baud max regardless of whether the cable can transfer faster.
Therefor, having the USB adapter won't speed things up at all, but it
may still be more convenient for connecting since so many of the new
computers have USB ports out the whazoo. Garmin sells one for something
like $50-60. This site has one for $27.00

http://www.tvnav.com/usbserial.html

Thanks to Will England for that link!! But I am not sure if it lets you
plug the serial cable into the USB slot or lets you plug a USB into a
serial (why you'd want to do the latter is beyond me).
	Second, for those of you that might have the eTrex Vista, there
is a new version of the software for the unit available on the Garmin
website. My unit came with a version that was about five or six
versions out of date. It is a quick download and easy to install.
Although, at 9600 baud, it takes a while to do the update.
	Third, I asked about the ability of the Mapsource software to
snap your route to the roads on the map. It won't. Most people use the
DeLorme Map'n'go software to do that. The only problem I have found is
that there are quite a few roads that aren't shown on the DeLorme maps,
unless you actually buy the paper Atlas (highly recommend these). They
are about $25 per atlas though for each state. Pricey to say the least.
	My thoughts. Garmin is supposedly the world leader in GPS
technology. So why the heck can't they figure out that the units should
come with a USB cable since that is what most computers use, make the
units so they can transfer at USB speeds, and sell the stupid serial
cable for those folks using old units? And why can't they make the map
software more like the DeLorme for route creation purposes and combine
that with the GPS features? This is not rocket science! Anyway, I have
not had much chance to really sit and play with the GPS unit. I have
been busy with another project.
	I am exploring roads for future group rides/trips. Rather than
take the time to stop and get out a notepad and pencil to jot down my
ideas and thoughts, I have figured out how to combine my bike to bike
communicator with a digital voice recorder. Now I can go down the road
without stopping, using the voice activation feature of the recorder,
and record impressions of the road and scenery as I go. Then I can
review the audio files later and if I want, convert them to text with
Voice recognition software. Groovy!
	The big drawback is that I now have so many electronic gadgets
I need a serious electrical setup to power everything and keep it all
charged. Of course there is zero standardization among the various
power connectors. Each gadget has its very own proprietary
plug/connector. Currently I have the digital camera, the GPS, the
communicator, and the voice recorder. I need a small power station in
my tankbag! Carrying the AC adapters for all of those takes up quite a
bit of luggage space.
	Someone posted a while back about the website that sold the
power outlets that mount in the steering stem shaft. That is what I
need. Then I'll get the multiple cigarette splitter adapter and run
that inside the tankbag. I don't know if any of you have been pricing
adapters, but the market for adapters is great. That stuff is
expensive!
	Anyway that is all I have for now.

Adios,

- --
Scott Friday
98-VFR800@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Honda VFR 800 Fi His in Red
1998 Honda VFR 800 Fi Hers in Blue - RED BODYWORK FOR SALE!!
http://sfriday.com/
http://pages.tca.net/sfriday/ (mirror site)

End of st-digest V2002 #250