[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #261

Ed,

It was my understanding that downloading a new tune is a very quick
operation and has been done free of charge. Maybe I'm wrong. It seems they
just hook up their gameboy and hit a couple of buttons. Hardly $30 worth of
work, which would traslate to about a half an hour at normal shop rates. Are
they installing the can as well? If so, then an extra $30 is very
inappropriate!

Good luck,

Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver

 Hardly inappropriate. If Ed installs his own pipe, then they have to break
loose from whatever else they are doing to wait on him. The shop has to buy
the computers and the downloading equipment, tunes etc. They have to pay a
guy who has the knowledge to do the job. They have to spend some time
getting everything hooked up and would probably test ride it to make sure
it's OK. Granted the physical download time is fairly minimal, but it's at
least worth .1 hr by itself. Installing and uninstalling the equipment and
filling the appropriate paperwork is another .2 and the test ride is .2 A
half hour for all these little tasks is not unreasonable at all. Sometimes
you have to pay for what they know and the equipment they provide. If it's
easy enough to do yourself. then do it for free! Or be like the guy that
took 6 or 7 hours to install an Ohlins. The shop charged me $30 for the same
job!
Bare