Re: [ST] Helmet locks

On Saturday, May 11, 2002, at 06:29  am, Chris wrote:

> I paid wwwaaaaayyyy too much $$ for my helmet to leave it hanging out
> where
> grocery carts can hit it, kids can throw gum in it, or bolt cutters
> could
> take it away. Give me the hardbags or I'll just take the helmet (inside
> it's
> protective bag) with me.
>
> -Snow Dawg

I stopped using helmet locks years ago after coming back to the bike and
finding a boot print on my lid and a cracked side panel underneath.

Occasionally I use a long chain through the back wheel thread it through
the helmet(s) on the seat. There are a few commercial versions of this
sort of setup that include a waterproof bag to secure the helmets in.

I was amused that even my Ducati 750 F1 has a helmet lock and it's about
the least civilised production bike ever. Incidentally if you want to
make the bars on a Sprint higher just ride something with really low
bars for a while, the Sprint will feel like a cruiser when you get back
to it.

Dave