RE: [ST] YELLOW BOX speedo re-calibrator

Chris,

Actually changing the sprocket does affect your speedo.  Your speedo, even in you car is based on the rpm of the output shaft of you transmission.  So changing the sprocket on your motorcycle means your tires or either rotating faster or slower (depending on the change) than what the designers had based their calculations on.   On a car it's not a big issue, if you change the final drive ratio you can recalibrate your speedo by changing out the speedo gear, but on a bike recalibrating isn't practical because they don't make the speedo gears for us like they do on for cars.  Now on our Triumphs recalibration should be possible since the speedo is driven by the computer.  And why Triumph made it intentionally inaccurate by 10% is beyond me, I have no idea.

Lex (Digital Dawg) Offer
2000 Triumph Lucifer Orange Sprint ST
1986 Honda VF1000 F-II

>>> chris.l.strizver@xxxxxxxxx 05/13/02 08:02AM >>>
... Many of their claims are way off. For example,
they list "Motorcycle sprocket (gear ratio) changes" as one reason you'd
need one. That's odd, because sprocket changes affect your tach, not your
speedo. Same with "Performance cars with modified gearing". LOL! Oh yeah,
"Off-road vehicles with special wheels". When was the last time that you
were off-road and gave a hoot what your speed was?