[ST] Custom plugs

I just got a pair from an outfit that was set up at the Fontana
superbike race, but apparently they didn't mold correctly and won't
either a) stay in my ears when putting a helmet on, or b) seal
correctly, plus they hurt my ears significantly.  Foam vastly preferred,
though more expensive in the long run I think.  (I prefer the Howard
Leight leight sleepers, yellow and pink, 33db rating, very quiet and
comfy but useless after a few wearings due to softening up enough that
they won't go in.)

I've actually been thinking about trying some of the Etymotic earphones
they sell out of the Aerostich catalog - I could use them both as
hearing protection and for the radar detector and phone, but worried
about shelling out that much $ in case they're hard to use in a helmet.
 Anyone have experience with or thoughts on these?

 -- Jim