Re: etymotic, koss, and earplugs(Re: [ST] Custom plugs)

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 08:33:17AM -0700, James Wright wrote:
> Thanks Brian, will be waiting to hear how well the Koss units w/
> earplug mods work in a helmet.  (BTW, what type(s) of helmet are
> you wearing?)

I have an HJC LT-12 full face.  It's a relatively noisy helmet--the
faceshield doesn't seem to make a good tight seal like some of the
shoei's I've seen.  My next helmet will be a Shoei Z II.  I tried one on
at the local honda dealer, and it actually fit my "oblong oval" head.
If I actually had US$465 and if they had a solid red one in stock, I'd
have bought it on the spot.

> Also kinda curious about the guy who used the S&W
> Quick-Fits... Hmmm...

Yeah, I was curious about that, too.  I bought a set at Wally world.  I
put them in (without the headphones) and couldn't stand them.  Maybe
they take some getting used to, but they scraped my ear and didn't seal
good at all with the helmet on.  I rode about 2 miles with them in and
was glad to take them out.  Then, I put them in my pocket with my gloves
and lost them the same day I bought them.

Anyway, I did a little experimentation today.  I threw the minidisc
player in the tankbag, hooked up the Koss headphones, and headed out for
a short blast up the freeway before the rainstorms blew in.  I only did
about 5 miles, but discovered that the hex-shaped earplugs I was using
with it wouldnt' work.  They don't compress down small enough with the
tube of the headphone in them to be inserted fully or easily into the
ear canal.  Then, when I'd put the helmet on, it would cause them to not
seat right.

I did stop at the drug store and buy a box of round earplugs made from
the softer foam, that squish down much smaller.  I cut up a pair of them
and like the feel so far.  They're still a little difficult to seat
in my ear in conjunction with the headphone tube inside it, but not as
bad.  I also just discovered that I can roll the earplug up, put it in
my ear, let it expand, and then insert the headphone into the hole in
the earplug pretty easily.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Tuesday-Friday is rain, rain and
more rain here.  If there's a break, I'll get out with them.  Otherwise,
I'm doing home improvement stuff and changing the oil and brake pads on
the bike.

Laters,
Brian
- --