[ST] RE: ST Oil Level

> Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:37:49 +0100
> From: "Dave Sillence" <davesillence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Any Sprint ST owners out there that have noticed that their bikes are
> sensitive to a particular level of oil? (e.g. through the site
> window) mine
> appears to be blowing a fair bit out of the breather pipe, or at
> least when
> I removed the bung from it there was about 10-15cc of oil that
> drained out.
> I tend to like to run the oil level towards the upper level of the two
> marks, I was wondering if any fellow Sprint ST owners have had any similar
> problems or, perhaps, running it at the 'lower' end of the two
> marks is more advisable?
> Any advice/info would be much appreciated.

The word (from a mechanic at Taylors (Chippie)) is that "they all do that";
certainly to the extent of a couple of ml. 10-15ml is a bit excessive
though...

I keep my oil level at mid-point in the sight-glass. There's very little
difference in the *quantity* of oil between the bottom and top marks (less
than 0.5 lit), but my guess is that there's more of a propensity for it to
blow out when it's near the top, as it'll be closer to being churned by the
engine 'bits'.

FWIW, in case you're new to this game, there's no practical difference in
level between an on-stand and an off-stand measurement. Just that you're
more likely to drop the bike the second way ~:) [No, I haven't.]

Regards,
- --
BRG
mailto:keith.tynan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx