Re: [ST] earplugs

In your message regarding [ST] earplugs dated Sun, 03 Nov 2002 09:24:06 -0800,
Marc Danziger said that ...

>MD-  Here in CA, there is a quirk in the law which makes custom earplugs legal
>MD-  to wear while riding, and the foam ones illegal. Many officers,
>MD-  particularly in 'high enforcement' zones, will add-on the earplug cite to
>MD-  other citations, adding points and dollars to the ticket.
>MD-
>MD-  I've convinced a state legislator to carry a bill getting rid of this
>MD-  absurd law.
>MD-
>MD-  I need to get a package together for her staff by 12/15, and can use some
>MD-  help. Am particularly interested in any concrete information on the effect
>MD-  of earplugs on hearing loss, and on operator alertness and awareness.
>MD-
>MD-  Anyone up for it?? Let me know.

Try the military.  They will undoubtedly have a stack of information on hearing
impairment and the use/non-use of noise reducing plugs/ear defenders etc and
this information should be in the public domain.  Secondly do a search on
Medline (Google for Medline) for medical papers.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders