Re: [ST] brake lockup, was: The Smiley Bag

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 07:01 PM, Ken Mitchell wrote:

> I don't need ABS.

I used to think the same, until while admiring the open scenery around
Stanford the 80MPH traffic I was in came up on a 1-lane backup due to a
newly-fallen ladder in the road. The car ahead of me braked before I,
yet tagged its car ahead for about $3000 in damage. The $500 ABS option
saved my ass that day, and that was in a Miata.

>  Most test have shown that on a motorcycle, one can achieve
> the shortest braking distances on bikes without it, or turned off.

Front or back ABS? There's too many variables on the back patch for
most people to get maximal braking out of the back in all conditions,
and we all know the consequences of locking up the rear wheel of a bike
can be a real bitch (my first bike dumping me in a 20mph right-hander
was my first learning experience of this).

Of course, a crappy ABS implementation isn't worth the money.

=td=