Re: [ST] RE: ST 02 QUESTIONS - COMMENTS.

Hi Harry,

I have used mineral spirits, aka Stoddard Solvent, to clean my chain.  I
soak a rag in it and hold the chain with the soaked rag whilst spinning
the wheel to move the chain.  It doesn't need it too often.  The factory
Service manual says, "If the chain is especially dirty, apply paraffin
before lubricating."  I think that means diesel fuel, if not, I have no
clue what paraffin is.  In the U.S., paraffin is used to make candles.
My dealer suggests diesel.

I bought a factory service manual from the dealer for a reasonable $50
or so.

My owner's manual was for a previous model that had a sight glass, the
')2s don't.  The dealer's tech incorrectly told me how to check the oil.
  Properly done, the bike is vertical, on the wheels and the dipstick is
fully screwed in to get an accurate reading.

John
'02 RS, Yellow