[ST] Insult to injury and loud pipes

Howdy,

	After the flood of rain a week ago and all my swamp boat racing
on the VFR, I left the bike sitting in the garage for a few days until
things dried out a bit here in Huntsville, Tx. Thursday morning I went
to pull the bike out for my morning commute and it felt quite sluggish.
A closer inspection revealed a flat rear tire!! This is of course a
brand spanking new BT 020 that I mounted right before heading to
Arkansas the previous weekend. A very small nail was stuck in the
tread. The hole is so small as to barely be visible. I have since
removed the tire and mounted the extra I had waiting to go on my wife's
VFR. I plan on putting an internal patch (not a plug) in the tire and
remounting it. Any comments?
	On a better note, some friends from Austin came over this
weekend and we knocked out about 380 miles of East Texas twisties. The
weather was close to perfect. It got up to 87 F and I had to take my
liner out of the jacket. In recent weeks we have been having highs in
the low 50's. It was quite windy, but once we got down into the woods,
the wind was not so bad. We had a single near deer incident but
otherwise it was a spectacular day of riding and great roads.
	Speaking of deer. There has been quite a bit if chatter about
deer and loud pipes. I don't belong to the loud pipes save lives camp.
However, I get a kick out of the people that say the pipes need to face
forward to be heard. What nonsense! I have yet to see a bike that can
travel faster than the speed of sound. If you stand on the shoulder of
the road as a bike approaches, you will hear it coming for quite some
time before it goes by. Don't start screaming about the doppler effect,
that simply affects the frequency (tone) of the sound as it approaches
and goes by due to the compression of the leading waves. It is true
that the pipes will be louder in the direction they are facing, but
that does not mean they are silent to the front of the machine!
Besides, it is an academic point. Deer around here could care less
about how loud your pipes might be. They routinely stand on the edge of
the pavement on our local Interstate grazing whilst 18 wheeler tractor
trailers whiz by at 80+mph, and they seldom even look up to see what is
going by them. Personally, I think they are deaf or at the very least,
suicidal. ;-)

Adios,

- --
Scott Friday
98-VFR800@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Honda VFR 800 Fi His in Red
1998 Honda VFR 800 Fi Hers in Blue - RED BODYWORK FOR SALE!!

http://BackroadMotorcycleTours.com/
http://sfriday.com/
http://pages.tca.net/sfriday/ (mirror site)