[ST] Hacking a widder vest

Well, after trying on both a Gerbing and a Widder, and test riding a Widder,
I decided to go with the Widder vest instead of the Gerbing liner.  Rather
than getting into why and sparking a religious debate, I'll just get to my
point.  ;-)

I received a free on/off switch and electrical feed (Gerbing wanted $20 for
one of those that would fit the BMW accessory plug - oops, that just slipped
out), but I found I really needed the dial-a-temp thermostat electrical
feed, so I forked out for it.  I asked, if they would just keep the on/off
one and credit me toward my thermostat, and the guy looked at me like I was
from mars.  Seems a bit silly but, oh well... *shrug*

So I now have two feeds (the free on/off and the $90 thermostat) which is
one more than I need.  I'm thinking of splicing in some kind of dial
controller on the free cable and turning it into a thermostat.  I'd then
return the thermostat feed and save myself some cash.  Can any of those
electrically inclined listers out there tell me how difficult would it be to
do this?  Doing so would also require me to keep the thermostat controller
in returnable shape, otherwise, there's no point.

The most complex electrical task I've ever performed was to change out the
80 year old light switches in my house (non grounded).  So far, I haven't
electricuted myself, or burned down the house.  I can also replace a mean
lightbulb (house, car, AND bike)!  But even if I screw up and completely
destroy the free controller, I'm not out any money, so I can't loose.
Perfect time to expand my now non-existent electrician skills!

Feel free to contact me offline - mailto:pchittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Chittum - '01 BRG Sprint ST