[ST] Ohlins rear spring for an ST

Hey all,

Just wanted to pass along a little information I gathered while
researching the purchase of an Ohlins(*) rear shock for my 2000 ST. The
correct model is "TR-851", and here in the US it comes pre-assembled
with a spring that is appropriate for a "rider weight" of 155-175 lbs.

"Rider weight" is in quotes, since it really includes your true weight,
plus the weight of all your riding gear, plus the weight of any
accessories you've added to your bike. Common accessories that add
significant weight include panniers and top boxes, but most retailers
don't understand that and will recommend a spring that is not stiff
enough for you.

Figuring my weight at 190 lbs (including gear), plus 30 lbs for the
panniers, plus 20 lbs of junk in the panniers and under the seat put me
at 240 lbs "rider weight." I seriously thought about going with the
17.29 kg/mm spring, but ended up getting the 16.29 kg/mm one instead.
Maybe if I gain some more weight I'll get the 17.29 kg/mm one. :-)

Here's the data I was able to get out of Ohlins USA on the different
springs that are available:

"Rider Weight"       Spring          Notes
- -------------------  --------------  --------------------
155-175 lbs.         14.29 kg/mm     Standard spring
175-200 lbs.         15.29 kg/mm
200-235 lbs.         16.29 kg/mm     Part #01095-64
235-265 lbs.         17.29 kg/mm

(Sorry I didn't get part numbers for the all the springs. You can call
Ohlins in Hendersonville, NC at 828-692-4525.)

Parts Unlimited is currently the primary distributer in the US, and they
only ship the shock pre-assembled with the standard spring (14.29
kg/mm). If you want a different spring, you must order it separately and
pay for the shipping of the standard spring back to Parts Unlimited.
Parts Unlimited will not charge the dealer a restocking fee for the
returned spring, but your dealer may charge you to change the spring on
the shock, since it requires a mechanic to spend some time with a spring
compression tool.

(*) Did you know it's pronounced "oh-leans"? I always thought it was
"oh-lins", but the folks in North Carolina pronounce it the other way.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Jose, CA (USA)