RE: [ST] Winter Storage

>The idea of getting the rear (and front)
>suspension is to minimize the amount of
>time in the bike's overall life that it's
>sitting on it's springs unecessarily
>fatiguing their compression resistance.

What kind of new fangled cheese-whiz are these springs made of? On the one
hand they are expected to handle several hundreds of pounds of dynamic
about losing mechanical viability while in storage for a few bloody
months!!? Get real people!!!

Am I the only one that thinks this is absurd? How freaking delicate do we
actually think springs are? Good heavens can we move beyond medieval times
where ignorance lead to mystical thoughts and have a little faith in current
materials engineering. I don't doubt that theoretically you might be able to
detect some sort of fatigue over a few months of storage but my suspicion is
that you'd need a hella-expensive piece of measuring equipment to detect it.
In practical terms I think it is a moot point. Next thing you know we're
going to be reaching for the hydrogen tanks to fill the tires because after
all the lift generated by the hydrogen will help relieve the contact point
pressure... All in all, IMO, it seems to me you're more likely to wear out
the spring from riding far before static aging will precipitate it's demise.

If folks like being anal just because they like playing with their butt--
well that's a different discussion for a different mailing list.

later,
- -brad-