Re: [ST] FRS/GMRS two-way radio questions......

That's about right when you have obstacles in the way.  You can get a
couple of miles out of 'em out on the water though.  Unlike CB, the
frequencies FRS is on don't skip well, so if you go around a curve and
down a hill you'll be out of reach...but for close in group stuff they
work well.  Once our Chatterbox CB27-A's give up the ghost we'll be going
FRS, it'll be so much easier and portable you can prolly wire it into your
jacket and leave nothing attached to the bike!

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Matt Knowles wrote:

> >They advertise up to two-mile range in good
> >conditions, what should I really expect?  What sort of
> >sound quality?
>
> I've used my Motorola radios (advertised 2 mile range) to talk from
> home to my business a half mile away and they can barely do that.
> It's not line of sight though, as there are buildings in the way, but
> that's the real world unless you're traveling through the desert.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail