Re: frame sliders(Re: damage assessment(Re: [ST] ST's don't like to

Brian,

This doesn't sound good.  Glad to hear you are all right. Too bad about your ST.
  Course, it's a good thing it happened at the end of the season rather than
earlier on. I'm concerned about the performance of the frame sliders. I have a
set also. I've already survived a crash (without the sliders). It was a slow
speed crash. Lost the front and went down on the left side. Slid about 6 feet.
Cost about 2,000 to replace all the damaged plastic. I got the sliders to
protect the plastic. Now I'm not sure it is a good idea. What do you think? I'm
half convinced to take them off.

John H. Seltzer
2906 Alvarado Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229
360-647-7702
jhseltzer@xxxxxxxxx

Brian D wrote:

> be left sitting))
>
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 08:39:41AM -0700, Keith Winter wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, 8:08:13 AM, Brian D wrote:
>>

>>>Turns out the frame slider didn't bend in, the frame sheared.
>>>Also, a piece of the case looks like it broke off at the eng
>>>mount, and there is oil around the area.
>>>
>>This is a possible result that has always bothered me about the
>>frame sliders attaching to the engine itself.  In your case, the
>>engine mount appears to have broken in only a fairly low speed
>>tumble.
>>

> Low speed, but high impact.
>
> I'm not a slider flag-waver, but I always thought they'd be extra
> insurance.  Ironic how this has turned out.  I know some avoid them for
> just this reason.  But I've also seen them save a bike from much greater
> damage than it would have received in a high-side.
>
> Have to ponder if I'll use them again.  But thought I'd lay my story out
> there for others.
>

>>>We'll see what Dairyland says about it when the adjuster gets in contact
>>>with me.  :|
>>>
>>Well, you may end up getting that vibration problem fixed after
>>all, either as part of the repair for the slider damage, or from
>>getting a new ride.

End of st-digest V2002 #554