Re: frame sliders(Re: damage assessment(Re: [ST] ST's don't like to

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 02:27:11PM -0500, John Morin wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Hope you feel better soon.  I guess the Bandera Rat Rallye is now out of the
> question. Sorry.

Yeah, and so is the bull shoals moto-meet dennis mentioned.  :(

> I've seen sliders protect a bike from a high speed-low side enough so that
> bike was rideable.

I bet that's a typo and you mean high-speed high-side?  the same one we
witnessed together?

> I'm not sure which type of gravity storm happens more
> but I'd bet on low sides.  High sides are...well...just nasty anyway you
> look at it.
>
> John
> Austin
> '01 ST BRG

Okay, I knew the mention of the role of sliders would stir up
controversy and there've been a lot of other listers reply.  I'm
almost sorry I mentioned it. :b

But I replied to John because I think he has an excellent point:
there is no good outcome from a high-side.  I'm convinced that if I
had no sliders, the bike would have been hurt in a number of other
ways: bent clip-on, cracked bodywork (and more than just 1 panel),
broken radiator, twisted forks.

As someone else said, bent forks and a bodypanel or 2 is enough to
total a bike like the ST.

However, if I'd stayed on the gas and just let the rear slide all
the way out into a low-side (ignoring the fact that such action may
have prevented a spill alltogether), I bet I'd be looking at a few
paintable scratches on the topbox and not much else.

People have asked me if I'd use them again.  I think I would, for the
above reason.  Some might think that's stupid, I guess.  That's their
opinion, and I have mine.  I'm not telling anyone else to use them, just
sharing my experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)