Re: [ST] Rookie questions

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Troy Dawson wrote:

> On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 02:48 PM, Spence, Jason wrote:
> >
> > If some of you were to recommend the ST, how would you describe it and
> > why
> > did you buy it?????
>
> Rather have monster torque at 40mph than unusable HP at 140

I never have bought that argument, and never will, my '99 9r had enough
tourque to pull the front off the ground at 30 mph (no clutching or
throttle blipping), and the run to red in first gear, ending at 65 mph
had a hell of a lot of giggle power.

BUT, been without the ST for 2 weeks now, and have been told the dealer
is recomending that she be put down, and I am missing the her, badly.
Even with the new TL in the garage, I still miss her. Of course the TL
is still in break in :-(

Break in sucks!!

> Best admixture of high-performance and comfort available (for the price)
> Modern engine w/ 12,000mi valve adjustment interval
> Good cruising range / bag options
> Not squidly -- got a driveby warning flash from Mr CHP for ~75 in a 50
> zone a while back
> Looks bitchin' [twin headlights, swing-arm], especially in BRG
> 2-year mfr warrantee
> Nice to ride something underappreciated by the hoi polloi
> Cheap to insure ($460/yr w/ State Farm)
> Very competent Triumph dealer in my area

To all this, I could no agree more, something about a bike with luggage
that gives the impression your doing 10-15 mph less :-)

If the ST does get put down, I won't replace her until the spring, and I
will check out the FJR, but there is a decent chance an Aston Green
Sprint ST will the in the garage. I like the new blue, but the WR and TL
are blue, so I think 3 blue bikes would be a bit much :-)

It comes down to what you want out of a bike. The ST could only be
better in a very few ways. Bring back the hazzard lights, and bring
over the Daytona's suspension.

regards,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 18 months old, 25,100 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s (last count 7 days, 282 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500

End of st-digest V2002 #558