[ST] Rode a Speed Four...

...and what a FUN bike.  A Trophy-riding friend of
mine is thinking of getting a "play" bike for the
twisties and track days.  So our way cool Triumph
dealer loaned him a Speed Four for the weekend and I
sampled it today on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  That is
the best handling bike I've yet ridden.  No, it
doesn't have a bunch of torque (but redline is 14.5!)
although for a 600 it's not bad.  The handling is just
remarkable.  On familiar curves, I rode the bike at
about the normal speed I ride my RS and the S4 just
laughed at me.  The gearbox is perfect and except for
slightly high footpegs the ergos are fine.  I tried my
best to get the fuel injection to misbehave but even
in 6th from 3K it was faultless.  I know you either
love the look of it or hate it.  I'm in the former
category.  There's no way I'd replace my do-it-all
torque-monster RS with the S4 but if I could "find" 7K
I'd but one in a heartbeat.  My friend is buying it on
Monday.  ;-)  BTW, the dealer told us that due to the
fire, only 96 Speed Fours were imported to the States
this year.  Talk about exclusive.