Re: [ST] bike down

Tim and Frank,

The smoking is caused by oil that came up the breather tube and into the air
box. Once in the air box it will go into the closest cylinder. If enough goes
into a cylinder the engine will lock until the oil bleeds out. Afterward, when
it starts it will smoke for quite some time. Especially if the oil makes it into
the exhaust. It is not serious unless you continuously try to start the motor
against a hydraulic lock. This could bend a rod or cause other damage. I learned
this in a slow speed get off. Lowsided on the left side at about 15 mph. I hit a
frost heave while leaned over in the middle of a turn. Had my wife on the back
too. Fortunately, neither of us was hurt seriously. Check the airbox. You will
find traces of oil. When an engine is at operating temperature, oil pours like
water. It will get into the airbox even if you pick the bike up quickly.

John H. Seltzer
2906 Alvarado Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229
360-647-7702
jhseltzer@xxxxxxxxx

Frank Palocsay wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Sorry about your fall.  Glad you survived intact.  I wouldn't worry too
> much about the smoking.  My wife let our ST fall over on the left side
> and it did the same thing for about 20-30 miles.  But you might run a
> little injector cleaner in your next tank of gas.
>
> About the dinged helmet.  Have it checked by the manufacturer, or ashcan
> it.  "Dings" could indicate internal cracks or other damage.
>
> Take care,
> Frank

End of st-digest V2002 #563