[ST] Mirrors / streetfighter

G'day All,
    I've just been pulling the ST down and fixing up some more small jobs
ready for the big trip to the Phillip Island GP. I've got to replace the
third small headlight which got busted, you can't buy just the lens, but the
replacement lamp assembly is cheap. While i was at it i stood back and had a
look at the bike "naked" it it looks pretty tough!! Has anyone built a ST
Streetfighter? Also, i'm thinking of pulling off the mirror
socks/covers/boots/whatever, i reckon it'll look tidier with them removed
rather than flapping around in the breeze, thing is i can't see how to get
'em off without damaging them, i'd appreciate some advice please? Last
thing, i've noticed a lot of rubbish building up at the back of the motor
coming from the tyre, it's too late to order a hugger now, will it effect
the cooling etc if i put a rubber screen across the back of the frame to
stop the crud?
Thanks everyone
Bill