Re: [ST] Heated grip install - this can't be right?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> LOL! We have plenty of rain, but little snow. So, what's wrong
> with a nice pair of gloves? Are you people riding in such cold
> gloves aren't enough?

I guess my question to you is, do you ever ride for more than 30
minutes at a time?

Riding for much more than an hour or so with bulky gloves tends
to leave my hands somewhat sore. Plus I do not have the same
control with thiner gloves.

Simple, electrics allow for less bulky clothing, thus freeer
movement is possible, as well I stay warmer with the electrics
than just a shit load of clothes.

So it is simple, I am more comfortable and more safe on the
bike. Of course it should be needless to say riding is also less
fatigueing (sp??), again, hey, I'm safer. Since I have
converted, the most gear I have had to wear is

        T-shirt
        Underwear
        Gerbings liner
        Full perf-leather 2 piece suit
        Triumph touring boots (water proof)
        Triumph rain gloves
        Triumph one piece (the good one) rain suit.
        socks
        and of course Sheoi RF800

That combo has seen me snug and warm in a rain storm somewhere
south of 50 deg F and on a dry day well below 40 deg F. In fact,
with the rain suite on I don't need to turn on the gerbing liner
until about 40 deg F.

BTW, no picture handy, but when I am fully dressed I tend to
scare young children :-)

YMMV, when I first started riding up in Ottawa I used to ride
with winter gloves, winter parka, couple of sweatshirts, jeans
and long johns. Wind still cut through. When I moved down here I
got a 2 piece rain suit which really helped, but did not keep
the wind out as well and the Triumph one piece. But still had
the massive layering, which of course meant the leather jacket
had to be thicker, and I could barely move.

Of course it tool me 5 years of riding to now consider myself
fully geared. Now I just need my ST back and life will be good.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 18 months old, 25,100 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s (last count 14 days, 403 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500