Re: [ST] Motorcycling through Greece

In your message regarding [ST] Motorcycling through Greece dated Sat, 12 Oct
2002 10:54:50 -0600, lacpsyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx said that ...

>l-  Hi Gang,
>l-
>l-  Just thought I'd pass along a tantalizing tidbit.  Teri and I just got back
>l-  from a 2 week motorcycle trip of Greece!!!!

Great story - it would be good to see the pictures also .... you did take some
pictures, didn't you ;-)

<snipped>
>l-  get by.  The nice part, as with Europe is that the cars EXPECT YOU TO
>l-  PASS	anytime you're on the road.

Different countries in Europe have a different mentality to bikers.  The French
are probably the best as most car drivers move over to let you pass - even so
you can pass on double solid lines without crossing them.  The French also
ALWAYS flash you if there are police ahead :-))  Unfortunately in the UK the
average cage driver has an aggressive attitude to anyone who can overtake him,
especially bikes.

>l-  I've done two European
>l-  (Alps) trips, and believe Greece has them beat for the most twisties.   We
>l-  did this trip two up and it was fun.  One up, without the weight and
>l-  worries of my precious rear cargo, and I probably would have gotten into
>l-  some serious trouble strafing those roads.

The Picos mountains in Spain are also wall-to-wall hairpins (see
http://www.sprint-st.org/routes/spain_2002_index.html - I also found myself
fantasising about a straight bit of road!) and I will be revisiting them the
last week of May next year if anyone is interested in joining me.

>l-  Michael and Deb have just left for their first Southern Italy/Sicily trip
>l-  and will probably include this in the future with their other tours.  We
>l-  are strongly considering taking them up on their Italy tour in a couple of
>l-  years.

Now that would be good as I could make it down to Italy on my own bike in two
or three days.

Thanks again for the trip report.

- --
Mike Bostock