Re: [ST] intro

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Steven Kohlscheen wrote:

> Welcome Cheryl.

Same.

And other Cannuck no less, cool.

> Interesting how many ZX9R owners are interested in Sprints over
> the years. I can't help with a comparison between the bikes but
> I can pass along my thoughts.

Hmm, I might be able to shed some light there. My previous bike
before the ST was a '99 ZX9r (blue :-) Sometimes I really miss
the bike, and with the ST being out of commision, I got my dream
bike, TL 1000s.

Anyway, you will find the tank on the ST a whole lot thinner
than the 9r. I pulled a couple of 900+ mile days on the 9r, and
paid for it, both in the hips and knees. As far as the upper
body position, the 9r never bothered me.

With the ST, you won't have the same 0-66 in first gear rush,
but, you'll still be able to better a Viper until about 120 MPH
or such. IIRC the power on the ST is smoother than the 9r as
well.

For comute and LD duty the ST is by far the supior weapon of
choice. I could not think of loosing the 3 hard bag setup. Great
for putting helmets and jackets into when you head of to a movie
or such. Or if you have to get a weeks worth of groceries on the
way home.

If I could only have a single bike, I would stand behind my
decision to only have the ST.

As far as durability, at 22k miles, my ST only had a single
valve shim that needed to grow a single size, period. In my
books, one shim in 22k miles is damn good.

Assuming the bike gets fixed, I am fully assuming that the bike
will see over 75k miles on it before it gets retired. My goal is
100k miles.

BTW, I have riden over 8 900+ mile days on the ST, with never a
problem. All you need is a throttle meister to let your right
hand rest once in a while and not be afraid to stand up and moon
the car behind you.

I highly recoment getting a Double Bubble screen for the ST as
well.

regards,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 18 months old, 25,100 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s (last count 14 days, 403 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500