Re: [ST] Salvage Title

Joseph Miele wrote:

> Tom/Mike,
> It's my understanding that when the insurance company records the bike as
> "totaled" or a total loss they report this to motor vehicle in your state.
> A bill of sale for that bike/vin# will net you a salvage title on that bike.
>
> The rest gets fuzzy and depends on your states regulations.  In NY after you
> repair the bike, you must show it to NYS Motor Vehicles and have a saftey
> inspection performed.  This is the same procedure used with a race bike
> holding NO title at all.  Either bike must pass inspection by that states
> motor vehicle department.  That inspection plus a bill of sale containing
> the correct VIN# will get you new clear title on your salvage or race bike.
> With that you can insure the bike any way you like.  However, your insurance
> company may request that you show them the bike and have pictures take to
> show it is in "like new" condition.

this all sounds like the way things work out here in california,
but i believe out here, once a vehicle's been titled as 'salvage',
there's no way to revert to a clear title.

i sure wouldn't want someone to be able to 'fix up' a totalled
bike only to turn around and sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck
who is unable to ascertain its previous history.

in the case of a new bike, it could mean just replacing the plastic
and a few odd bits - not too much to worry about. but i hear this
is a real problem with substandard cars being passed off as having
a clean history.

	- al.
- --
       /\ _