From: Tom Emberson [mailto:ate_st@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 1:57 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] was BOTC, now: watch out Edison

Comments on the math, AFIAK the voltage comming out
will never be over 14.4V += small %

As well, I do not think it is safe to assume that the
current output is anywhere near linear. I would suggest, you
are not getting much out under 1800 to 2500 RPM, but after
that the generator seems to come alive. AFAIK, it is an earth
magnet spinning, with no coil on the armature (the way car alternators
work).

Anyway, even crawling to work, with gerbing and heated grips, I have
yet to kill the battery.

Hmmm, just as an experiment, I think when I get my bike back, or
a new ST, I might add some cable in between the post of the battery and
the ground wires. Through an opamp over the wire, and an red/green LED of
the output of the opamp. With a bit of glue, red for drain, green for
charge.

And of course I will take the oportunity to find a decent power distribution
box with build in fuses.

Hmm, wonder if people would pay 30-50 bucks a copy for a bit of power
management
for their bike???

Hmm, maybe even a relay for some of the accessories.

Any ideas out there???

*