Re: [ST] was BOTC, now: watch out Edison

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Emberson" <ate_st@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] was BOTC, now: watch out Edison

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Bryce wrote:
>
> > Thanks Tom, I was thinking it might not be linear, but had
> > nothing else to go off of, I don't there is a way to calculate
> > it oteh than hooking up something to the bike at a given RPM
> > and measure what happens.
> >
> > And yes 14 may be too optimistic...probably 13.5 would be
> > better now that I think about it.
>
> Maybe it's automobiles, to get more power they went to I think
> 14.4 over 12V to help reduce the size of the wires going through
> the car. P=I^2*R afterall, reduce the current a bit and you get
> a lot more latitude with the wire resistance.

A normal (full) Pb-battery has 6 cells with 2.02 V secondary voltage at 20 ° Celsius = 12,12 V
The highest charging voltage per cell should be not over 2.4 V (= 14.4 V) , the voltage when the cell begins to cook is 2.7 V (16.2 V). These voltages are dependent on the temperature.
On the other hand you need a differential voltage between the alternator and the accumulator for the charging current and for the voltage you will loose due to the resistance of the cables to the load.

> Anyway, I have heard a fair bit of talk about cars going 28V or
> such. The first couple of years will be really interesting, but
> life will settle down pretty quickly.

As far I have heard the new voltage for cars should be ca. 50 V.

> Still easier to deal with the Mil Arospace, don't they use
> something like 54V, 1000HZ AC, probably way off on the numbers,
> but I am pretty sure it's fairly high AC current??

Airplanes (like Boeing, MD or Airbus) have 127 V, 400 Hz AC due to the rpms of the turbine.
> Tom

Enrico