RE: [ST] Texas Raid Ralley-The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

At 09:47 PM 10/15/2002 -0500, Kevin T. McDonald wrote:
>40,000 miles on bikes in the 70's and 80's - but what is that worth now?

I'd say a lot. 40K of experience is quite a bit, in my opinion. Like more
than the majority of riders you pass on a Sunday I'd say.

The news of the other riders is very, very sad.  But anybody that has
ridden with John Morin from Austin as I have knows he is a very skillful
rider. To me his accident is a reminder that it can happen to anyone.
Experienced riders do on occasion get 'caught out.' Flukes do occur like
plastic bags getting stuck on your helmet, blocking your vision, large mid
corner bumps do appear when you REALLY don't want to see them.  We all see
gravel in corners at inopportune times; when you're at 9/10ths all those
things usually translate into a problem.  Lesson for me: click it down a
couple notches, leave room for surprises. But I already knew that I just
don't always practice it.

Thanks,
John