From: Dieck, Mark [mailto:mdieck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: October 16, 2002 8:40 AM
To: 'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [ST] Still shaking

Well, how long is it supposed to take for the adrenalin surge to work its
way
thru your system?

This morning on the way into work, west on 580, from Livermore to San
Leandro,
I was hit by a car as it decided to move into my lane.

Contact was with the right pannier, with his drivers door panel. No injuries
and I didn't go go down. Damage assessment seems to be, a badly scratched
pannier, broken locking mechanism, and oddly enough the right foot peg.

I haven't had a chance to look at the lock mechanism to closely yet, had to
duct tape it to keep it closed. Anyone know if just the latch can be
replaced?

I didn't feel any contact between myself and the car, so am at a bit of a
loss
for the foot peg. The only thing I have come up with is that I pressed down
extremely hard on that foot to keep the bike up and snapped it off. The peg
is
made of aluminum, but still that seems like a pretty good press.

Anyways, no injuries and the bike is rideable.

Everybody be SAFE out there.

Mark D

*