Re: [ST] Still shaking

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:17:50AM -0700, Dieck, Mark wrote:

> After the initial outburst the guy seemed to realize it was his
> fault and just wanted to get it settled and move on. Not wanting the
> points on his license or having to deal with insurance companies. We
> ended up exchanging, name, phone, license info, didn't involve the
> CHP. Once I figure out what the damage is will be contacting him to
> see if this will be a hassle or not.
>
> Mark D

Mark, glad to hear you're okay.

I hope the guy is actually honest and will be so willing to work with
you when you contact him for payment.  People will say anything at the
time of the accident to get away.

I had a guy hit me in rush hour, his fault.  I got his name, address,
license number, etc. but was never able to collect anything from him
for the damages.  (He claimed it was his friend's car and that he
didn't have the insurance info.)  I didn't get a police report either.

I was mad and felt stupid about it later, but I only let him go at the
time because he barely scratched my bumper cover on my 89 Jetta.  He
was driving a newer 3000GT and my car f*cked the front of his car up,
so I always felt like he paid for it in some way.  Of course, if I'd
developed whiplash a day or two later, I'd have had to file a claim
with my own insurance and taken a financial hit.

Anyway, if I'm ever in another accident with another vehicle, no
matter what the damage, I am absolutely not letting them leave
the scene until I see their insurance paperwork.  If they have no
insurance (illegal here in TX), then the police will summarily be
called.

Laters,
Brian
- --