[ST] re: Canadians or Canadiens?

The thing is, those who inhabit the lands to the North of the U.S. come in three distinct MAJOR varieties.

There are those from the Maritime provinces.  Strange (not silly) accents, reputed to be extremely polite, helpful and generous.  Then there are those from the "western" provinces, i.e. anywhere west of Quebec and Ontario.  Other than tossing aboot some colourful phrases and having the courtesy and grace of the antebellum South without the baggage and drawl, they could be mistaken for Americans found on the other side of the nearest US/Canadian border, except that usually they don't WANT to be mistaken as Americans.

Then there's the folks in the middle.  The Quebecois.  Silly accent, bad manners (according to all the non-Quebecois Canadians that I have discussed the issue with) and they insist on calling themselves Canadiens.  ;-)  They are reputed to redeem themselves somewhat by having fine food and some great riding, and of course, hockey that is leaps and bounds beyond what we have here in my neck'o'thewoods.  And they export entertainment to here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  (I DID manage to sneak something about riding, i.e. Sprint content, in there, eh.)