RE: [ST] selfish?

This is a subject I often thought of as I have two
children 7 and 8. I also was questioned (by wife)
about my motives for riding so often. My explanation
to her was "I rode from when I was 14 until now, I
rode when we met, I rode when we were married and Ill
still be riding if you chooses to leave me over it"
not to be mean but thats just the way it is.

On the flip side I have made some safety upgrades to
the bike (very recently, but thats another post) I
ride as safely as I can and generally just try to take
it easy, I assume EVERY driver is on the phone and
doesn't see me (true in an unsettling number of
cases). Beyond that I cant do much. I do what I can
and ENJOY the ride. News like this of Eric always
gives perspective to my daily routine and makes me
even more aware of my own mortality.

1. I spend as little time in anyones blind spot as
necessary

2. I use hi beams in all but the darkest nights,
annoying yes, but at least they see me.

3. I try to watch people and see what they are
doing....predict, escape routs, often looking both
ways even on the green light.

4. people in the turn lane oncoming to me make my ass
bite holes in the seat from raw caution, I think this
is what happened to Eric if I read right :( more times
than not I coincide my going by with a car or actually
see them look at me and hope they actually saw me.

I probably look silly to others in traffic and maybe
offend many with my moving around in the lane and
frequent changes to safer lanes. I keep one eye in the
rear view mirror at the stop lights and that has saved
my ass on at least 2 occasions. Drivers here in the
northwest are the worst I have experienced outside
Canada. I am still alive and have never had a major
accident but I realize Im ONE stroke of luck away from
Eric, over the last few days and for a long time to
come, he and his family are in my thoughts.

Tony Burke
00 ST