Re: [ST] Headlamps/Horns

Tony,

I just spent all Saturday afternoon installing a pair of Fiamms on my '00 ST
and found the headlamp aiming "thingie" by accident while looking for a
place to mount the switch relay. If you remove the side fairing (right or
left, doesn't matter), turn the bars over to one direction, and look up into
the area behind the headlamps you will see a gray housing with a small bolt
protruding. This housing looks like the housing for a headlamp assembly and
the protruding bolt some sort of adjuster. Luckily, that's what it is. :)
The bolt adjusts the aim of the lamp up and down.

1. Turn the ignition on and aim the beams at a wall or something where you
can see the lights shining against it.
Yes, that means you'll need to straighten out the bars--moving them to the
side just made it easier for you to find the housing and adjuster bolt.

2. Check the alignment of the lamps.
If the lamps are properly aligned, you'll see a white blob with a distinct
horizontal line that extends through the blob and off to each side. If the
lamps are mis-aligned, you will see two different lines.

3. Adjust the aim.
Pick the spot where you want the beams aimed. Now take your handy dandy 8mm
(IIRC) socket and crank on one of the adjuster bolts. The adjustments are in
small increments and the quarters in there are cramped, so you'll likely
only get 1/8 turn or so and it will take a couple of reps for you to
positively discern which direction you're moving the point of aim. Crank
until you're happy.

4. Send me $10.

This procedure worked for me. I'm much happier with where the lamps aim now
than before. When I got the bike the lamps were pointed pretty low, so this
weekend after making my discovery I aimed them higher and I'm far more
satisfied with how the low beams light up the street. As always YMMV.

Cheers,
Roger