[ST] Bad Throttle position sensor??

Actually, if you want to know more about the Spitfire and other WWII
aircraft, as well as much enlightening info, I suggest "Fighter. The
True Story of the Battle of Britain" by Len Deighton.  For more info on
WWII aircraft development and a detailed history of the events prior to
the start of the War and up until Pearl Harbor, Mr. Deighton's "Blood,
Tears and Folly" is without peer.  Both contain some interesting
insights into British society that not only impacted the war, but the
post-war situation that affected many British industries, including the
motorcycle manufacturers like Triumph.  The latter also shows some
(unintended?) correlations with the world situation today, vis a vis
Iraq, Al Qa-eda and the societies of the West versus those of the East.

"In the summer of 1940 (Spitfires) carried 8 Browning machine guns" in
.303 calibre (7.7mm) with 300 rounds of ammo per gun.  "The
Messerschmitt BF 109E usually had 2 machine guns on top of the engine
cowling and a 20mm cannon in each wing."  To compare, a "three second
burst ... from the...BF 109E weighed 18 pounds." while the "RAF fighter
fired nearly 13 pounds in the same duration..." All quotes from
"Fighter".  Many problems were experienced with the Brownings and it's
Brit specified ammo.  By the beginning of the Battle of Britain the
Colt/Browning gun had been so modified that it "was virtually a British
gun:  a rare event for a nation that used so many foreign-designed
weapons, from Lee-Enfields, Maxims and Lewis Guns to Brens, Bofors and
Besas."

Now, I got this problem on my magnificent '01 ST, 13 months old, 23000
miles.  At 4700 in 6th it "hunts', also will appear to suffer spark
failure if a small decrease in throttle setting is initiated.  No
backfires or anything spectacular, it just slows down like you turned
off the key.  Move the throttle, even a little, and it goes away.  Not
so obvious at the same RPM in other gears, but I think it is still
there.  I suspect a throttle-position sensor problem, since this the RPM
range I normally use running up and down the interstate.  My dealer (a
good one, Palm Beach Ducati-Triumph) thinks this unlikely.

Before I make the 100 mile trip to see him, has anyone had a similar
problem?  I don't remember seeing any posts like this.  This is slightly
critical as I am running at 5200 to escape the symptoms and I'm going to
attract some unwanted attention sooner or later.  The FL highway patrol
doesn't yet recognize RotLE Imperial "Get Out of Jail" cards.  Slowing
down is not an acceptable option.

Oh and I don't know anything about stealth a/c, but I bet if you planted
a few bushes around the condenser, it would dim the noise a little. ;)

Andy
King, Riders of the Lost Empire
www.lostempire.com