Re: [ST] Another year w/ the ST

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony B." <thomas_4@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Another year w/ the ST
> I just love the appearance of
> the current Trophy. It would be great to see it
> updated mechanically but its beauty preserved. Lets
> avoid the look of the asian machines with the CAD
> lines and cartoon looking headlamps while were at it.

Now that I am a owner of both a ST and Trophy I would like to chime in on
how much I like both the bikes. I don't think I need to say much about the
ST on this list, I think it is a given how much we all like our ST's. I
recently purchased the Trophy a few months ago and I am really coming to
terms with the bike. It is an amazing machine. At first I had some
suspension set up problems and gross tire inflation problems, which gave me
some real concerns about the bike's handling. Eventually, I straightened all
this out and have come to appreciate the Trophy's remarkable traits. I
bought the bike to do long distance touring and I was looking for more
comfortable seating position, I did not expect to find such a nice handling
bike. The bike is actually a great deal of fun to ride fast through the
twisties. The 1200/4 is a great engine with a super wide power band and lots
of torque and horsepower. For those of you who think the ST's ergo's are
getting a little difficult for your older bodies need not worry about giving
up sport riding for softer ergo's, the Trophy is the bike you want to give a
serious look.

>There are some other very appealing
> offerings but my hope is that another Triumph will be
> as good to me as this ST has been.

There has been a lot of talk about Triumph bringing out the next Trophy with
a shaft drive instead of chain drive, there would be a lot of current Trophy
owners unhappy with the change because of the true "sport touring" qualities
the bike has presently. If you haven't spent much time on a Trophy and you
are thinking about (someday) getting one sometime in the future, you really
need to put a considerable amount of time on one.

Now that I have both bikes, I see my Sprint as a sport bike that I can tour
on and my Trophy as a touring bike I can sportbike ride. Neither bike can be
the other bike, they are both two great distinct bikes, which can fit our
needs seperately, but it is nice to have them both.

Of interesting note, some of the Trophy guys do track days on their bikes,
with surprising results.

Mike Benzon