Re: [ST] Another year w/ the ST

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Burt Barrett" <bbarrett1@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [ST] Another year w/ the ST

> Hi there Mike and STers

>  I am curious
> as to the difference in seating position, from the ST to the Trophy.

It is surprisingly much more comfortable, the bars are about 2" higher and
5" further back towards the rider. This still leaves you with a slightly
forward lean.

> That said, I am looking for a motorcycle I can ride for longer periods
without discomfort. When I
> ride, (Im 6'2, 34" inseam), my knees are bent as far as they will go,
which
> becomes uncomfortable.  I find that my left leg-from just above the knee,
> down to my ankle begins to ache after about 45minutes of riding, becoming
> worse in time.  Ibuprophin helps, but it just dosent go away.

This is one of the same reasons I picked up a Trophy, because my right knee
could not handle the tight tuck on the Sprint and I would be in considerable
discomfort after an hour on the bike. I can ride almost all day on the
Trophy before I begin to feel any discomfort and then it is minor compared
to what I felt on the ST.

> I look at the Trophy, and see the larger rubber covered pegs, and what
looks
> like a more relaxed riding position.  I am afraid however, that a Trophy
> would not handle as well as Big Red.

You will be absolutely amazed at how well the Trophy handles. It takes a
little while of riding to get used to the feel of the bike because it has
more top weight than the ST. You can't come to terms with the Trophy in one
or two test rides. I rode the bike for a considerable amount of time with
the tires very badly under inflated and thought the bike had some serious
handling problems, finally, I remembered to check the tire pressure, after
more miles than I am willing to admit, and WOO! what a transformation. The
next thing you know, I was laying the bike over far enough to drag the foot
pegs and carrying a lot of speed. Now I am wondering if I really need the ST
anymore.

> Is the Trophy's riding position more relaxed?  Do your knees bend
> less?  Are the footpegs more comfortable on long trips?  And MPGS?

I think I can honestly say you will love the Trophy and find it a lot more
suitable for your body. If you lived close by, I would let you take the bike
out for the day, that is how much I enjoy the bike.

> Does the Trophy handle as good as the Sprint?

No, but not by much.

Mike Benzon
Burney CA