[ST] More ST vs Trophy

> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 10:04:13 -0700
> From: "Burt Barrett" <bbarrett1@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] Another year w/ the ST
>
> Hi there Mike and STers
>
> I currently own a 99 ST, Big Red, and have put 20K on her.  ... I am curious
> as to the difference in seating position, from the ST to the Trophy.

> Burt Barrett
> & Big Red

Burt,

Let me add my concurances with Mike and the others who have (or had) both machines.
I traded my ST after a year of wonderful riding, back to a Trophy 900, (I originally
had a 96 for 3 years before the ST and loved it).

In an ideal world, I would have kept both, but being 52 now and with kids in
college, I am lucky to be able to pay for one, so I chose the Trophy, and am glad.
The ST is a great bike, but so is the Trophy.  It handles easier than the ST in
terms of quick turn-ins and very light bar feel - almost like power steering.  I
routinely get 43-45 mpg on my 900, while the 1200's get terrible fuel mileage at
about 35 mpg - neither figures are as good as the ST though.  The Trophy handles
remarkably well - granted not quiet as good a corner-carver as the ST full out, but
not bad, and it is by no means a slow bike on back roads.  On the highway, it
shines, and is very stable and comfortable.  Everyone hates the stock seat, but with
thick leather riding pants on, I think the stock is more comfortable than the Corbin
I bought.  Ultimately, I would get a Meyers seat for true long distance running,
although I rode the Trophy 1,700 miles up from Dallas to NY over 2 1/2 days with the
stock seat, and didn't feel uncomfortable.   The Trophy has much better weather
protection, but like all full faired bikes with high screens, is noisier due to wind
turbulence.  The Trophy is somewhat top heavy, but once you get used to it, it is no
problem at all in city or parking lot situations.

I could go on all day, but ultimately, why not take a test ride on one?  Better yet,
used Trophies are bringing only about $5-6K typically.  Buy one, and have two
bikes.  I much prefer the 900 triple motor, with its better gas mileage and lighter
weight, but you can check out the Trophy list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy to get the full story on that one.

Personally, I will miss the Trophy if Triumph re-designs it as a full-blown shaft
drive tourer to compete with the Yamaha FJR or Honda ST.  Right now, it is more like
a sophisticated, 2nd generate Concours, which is exactly how I like it.  I would
have kept the Sprint ST except for its lack of weather protection and its seating
position.  There really are no other bikes quite like it, and its styling is unique
(although I prefer the lines of the 96-98 Trophies much better than the 99+ upper
fairing).

Rick Hartwick
South New Berlin, NY

PS

those wondering why this list is dwindling in terms of responses, I would say that
the fact that no one bothers to snip the original posts in their responses
contributes to it.  I get tired of re-reading endless repetitions of the same posts
running several pages.  Snip, snip, snip, as a courtesy to the other readers.