[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #494

RE:  Race-Tech conversion

Just thought I'd relate my experience with the R-T valve-emulators and
spring conversion in my '01 Sprint ST:    I decided I'd try this conversion
since I'd done (almost) the same thing  with my '96 Trophy with spectacular
results (emulators only - kept the stock springs).  I went through the R-T
questionnaire and arrived at the appropriate emulators and replacement
springs for my weight and type of riding (typical street, not racing).  I
read the instructions (terrible) and printed the instructions from Paul and
Eric from the ST web site and set about the work.  I had no problems
dismantling the forks, drilling holes and replacing the damping rod.  I
then took measurements from both sets of instructions and they were
consistent.  I measured THREE separate times and came to the same end
results, so cut my spacers and rebuilt and replaced the forks.  The results
were awful!  The bike had tons of static sag and would barely lean over
from vertical with the the side-stand down.  Handling was worse and turn-in
very slow.  I dialed in as much pre-load as the adjustment in the fork-caps
allowed and this helped a little, but not much.
     I contacted Race Tech and was told by their chief of the technical
section that they know their instructions are very confusing, but that when
they do the installation themselves, they do it completely differently!
Essentially, they take the stock spring, washer and spacer and lay them in
line on a bench and measure the length.  They then place the replacement
spring, emulator and washer alongside and measure the difference to come up
with the correct length of spacer.  I did the same and needed a spacer
about 3 INCHES longer than with the original method.  I've now rebuilt the
forks and the results are terrific.  Anyone else with a similar
experience/comments?

Paul.