Re: [ST] My mileage SUCKS, help!

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:21:01PM -0400, BikerDad wrote:
> I just recently completed a 2,100 mile trip up to Oregon, and I am
> sorely disappointed in my gas mileage.  At one point, I literally
> coasted into the gas station on empty, 197 miles from my previous
> fuel stop where I had the bike on the centerstand and fully filled
> the tank.  After coasting in, I put 5.4 gallons into the tank, for a
> whopping 36.5 mpg.  Even using the official 5.3 gallon tank figure,
> the mileage is only 37.1.

First question: do you ever smell gas when you get off the bike?  I had
a fuel connector fitting that was weeping.  If you pull the right side
panel away from the bottom of the fuel tank (at least on the ST, not
sure of the RS bodywork), you can see the connectors.  On mine you could
see signs of gas weeping out where one of the plastic connector bases
screws into the brass plate on the side of the tank.  I would get about
35mpg and ran the tank empty at 209 miles one time (100 yards from a gas
station).

If it's that fitting, the fix is to take it out and wrap teflon tape
around it.  Replace it, being very careful not to overtighten.  I
snapped mine off without really turning it hard.  :/

> That particular leg was pretty straightforward (and pretty straight)
> Nevada desert highway, averaging about 90.  My 2000 RS was carrying
> myself, sleeping bag, tent, sleeping mat, soft panniers and tank
> bag, call it 275 pounds all told.  The only "performance" mods to
> the bike are a K&N air filter, and it has the latest tune as of
> April.  The bike now has 15k on it. aarghghgh.  I've just about
> heard enough of y'all folks getting 45mpg 2up, I am jealous.

I get vastly reduced mileage if I'm going fast or into a headwind.  At
70-75mph indicated, I can 50+mpg easy, but at 80-90 indicated (where
I usually cruise), I'll get low 40s.  Also, a 30mph constant headwind
drops my mileage to 35mpg.  These are on long trips, where I have
my topbox, tankbag, and sometimes tent, sleeping bag, and groundpad
lashed to the pillion seat.  So a similar setup to your trip.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)