From: "BikerDad" <BikerDadHLV@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <RS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 12:21 PM
Subject: [ST] re: Responses to my sucky mileage.

> BrianD, thanks for the suggestion on the fuel fittings. However, I'm
painfully familiar with that particular problem (50 miles on a tank last
Sept), I know that's not it. Some of the other listers have replaced the
plastic fittings with primo metal fittings, something worth looking into.

> Ken, I realize that drag goes up as a square of speed, motorcycles,
especially loaded ones, have high drag coefficients, AND weight plays a
factor (since drag is only overcome by "acceleration"). That's why I
included the info. We do have oxygenated gasoline here, but 'tis not the
season for it, so MTBE only plays a role during the winter months.
Nonetheless, I very, very rarely break into the low 40s on mileage, and most
of my riding is commuting with only a tank bag. Perhaps you're right and my
mileage expectations are unrealistic. I only shudder to think what would
have happened had I gotten a Honda Superhawk instead.....