[no subject]

1.	Idle control Stepper Motor.  Make sure it is working properly and is not
cracked or leaking.  It's the thing that looks like an octopus between the
throttle bodies and the valve cover.  The piston should not be covered in
oil or sludge.
2.	The chain and sprockets need to be in good condition and make sure they
are clean and lubed.  I can feel the difference in the vibration from
morning when the chain is clean and lubed and evening, when the chain is
dirty.  Just sit in your driveway and turn the rear wheel and listen to the
chain before and after cleaning and lubing.  Quiet is good.
3.	The number one piston had one intake valve tight and one exhaust valve
loose.  I don't know what this does for flow, but it has to make some
difference when compared with the other two pistons.  Any significant
difference between cylinders is bound to increase vibration.
3.	Check the Throttle body sync.  I think this was the major source of
vibration in my bike.
4.	A dirty injector could be the culprit.  Use Chevron Gas or buy the
Techron additive and add it to your gas.  This stuff really does work.
5.	Adjust the free play in the clutch.  This seems to make more difference
in how this bike runs than any other bike I've owned.
6.	Make sure that the torque on the front wheel axle is correct.  Too much
is extra resistance and too little could be dangerous.
7.	Adjust the chain slack often.  If you are going out fully loaded, you
might want to leave it at the loose end of the range.
8.	Others have reported that correctly setting the CO makes a difference in
how the bike runs.  This can only be done with a gas analyzer and the
Triumph Game Boy.
9.	Proper torque on the engine to frame bolts.  Does nothing for mileage,
but if the bolts are loose, can increase vibration.
10.	Clean your air filter
11.	I'm sure there are more.

I don't know what tune I'm running, but since my bike has not seen a dealer
since sometime last year, I know it's not the current one.  It's entirely
possible that it is still running one of the early '99 tunes as I have not
noticed a huge difference in performance since it's 12,000 miles service.

Head winds are the bane of mileage for any vehicle and the Sprint in
particular.  A 20 MPH headwind can take 10MPG easily.  Jack rabbit starts,
wheelies, city driving, high speeds will take another big bite.

I always get my best mileages on my trips when I am going through tank after
tank at a more relaxed pace.  It's hard to see anything other than the road
when finding the limits of the tires and I've seen plenty of asphalt.

I am now over 42000 miles and about to service the bike again.  Ride report
to follow.  And yes, I made it to Alaska!

HTH

Dan Wallander
'99ST
'74 R90/6