RE: [ST] My mileage sucks too!

I have difficulty understanding what could be wrong. I
agree that luggage, weight, and headwinds will deduct
from milage but the varying numbers seem a little
extreme. When mine was new I was pretty well into the
high 40s and low 50s . When I dipped into the low/mid
40s I replaced the chain/sprockets (severly worn @
18k)and it came right back to the 50 ish neighborhood
(US). Just after the chain job I added the wolfe can
and latest aftermarket FI remap and this dropped me
down to the mid/high 40s with a notable upgrade in
drivability and low end responsivness.

I just took a 3500 or so mile trip into the midwest
loaded both side bags and a large backpack strapped to
the rear seat and a loaded tank bag plus I weigh about
190 lbs. I did a combo of 80/90 mph sprints on hiway
and relaxed backroads. I did have a significant amount
of headwinds and grades. I aggressivly passed lines of
those gawdamn RV lumbering turd things. The weather
was wet/ very windy at times. I calculated that I was
still getting mid 40s while high speeds into the very
strong wind.

I realise this is a long letter but I am trying to
illustrate that some of the variables listed have not
changed my milage that significantly. I maintain the
tire PSI, chain lube/tension and use ONLY premium fuel
as it runs cleaner at lower RPMs. I have spoken to a
couple other triumph riders in my travals that get
same/better milage than me under similar conditions.
There has to be a consistancy issue w/the bikes
somewhere. I have heard this poor milage on and off in
the couple years I have been on this board, but I
wonder if this symptom of poor MGP and rich running is
isolated to a few bikes or if many others have
experienced it. Seems that a good number of us do well
with MPG but an uneasy number seem not to be. I know
of a great Triumph guy I will ask about this crazy
thing. If/when I learn anything Ill report back what I
was told. Everyone should enjoy this bike as much as I
do.

Tony Burke
00 ST

btw: Rider Mag. had an article on the 02 ST and gave
it favorable mention in terms of sporty compared to
FJR and ST1300.