[ST] valves and such

Last weekend with the help of Bill Flowers and Manuel Gonzalez, I opened
up the ST to change the spark plugs, air filter, do the valves and sync
the throttle bodies. With so much done to the bike, it is hard to give
credit to any one thing. But the bike is much better, quieter,
lesssurging around 3-4,000 rpm at lower throttle.

As far as the valves, where ever I got the impression that doing the
valves was difficult was simply wring. It is not hard, at all. In fact
the hardest part of the whole thing was getting the gas tank back on.

I only had one valve out of spec, left valve, intake side of number 1
cylinder. And it was only off by one size.

As far as the shim, Eurosport was kind enough the replace the shim,
again thanks!

As far as nits, the book rates the torque of the spark plug coils at 10
Nm, way too much, in fact two of the bolts stripped the Al. Now I don't
know if that happened last week, or if it happened durring a previous
service, anyway, two of the bolts are now covered in blue, where the
matching bolt for the coil have the normal amount. (blue: loctite blue
that is).

Next time I take the cam cover off, it will be replaced :-( Don't think
there is enough Al there for a helicoil or such. And might not be worth
the cost of replacing it to try to fix it.

Anyway, pictures will come soon, no time.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500