Re: [ST] chain guide needed - quick!

At 02:34 PM 09/09/02 -0400, Bill Swartz wrote:
>I think I mentioned why I was snooping around the rear to begin with was
>in effort to find whatever was creating small gouges in the meat of the
>tire at it's absolute outer edge.
>
>Turns out it's the back plate of the seat lock mechanism.

Hi Bill,

I may have the answer for you. I recently had a new chain installed, and my
dealer adjusted the chain tension the "wrong" way...

I'll elaborate. The ST chain tension is adjusted by rotating the wheel
mount in the swingarm. The wheel is eccentrically mounted, so rotating the
mount plate moves the wheel back and forward to adjust the chain tension.
It also moves the wheel up and down...

So it's possible to achieve the same chain tension with the wheel in either
one of two eccentric positions. The difference will be whether the
eccentric is above or below the axle center. Follow me?

Try this. Loosen the 17mm adjuster pinch bolt (preferably with something
other than the Triumph toolkit play-doh wrench) and use the Triumph
C-wrench adjusting tool to slacken off the chain. If I'm right, you'll be
turning the eccentric counter-clockwise looking at the bike from the left
side. Keep turning until the chain starts to tighten again. Set the correct
tension and re-tighten the 17mm pinch bolt. You should find that the wheel
now sits lower down relative to the bike--again, this is if I'm right.

I guess I raised the rear of my bike about a half inch by making this
adjustment. The first clue I had that something wasn't right was that the
bike was suddenly much more difficult to get on to the center stand after
the chain was changed.

Hope this helps,

Sheep Dawg
'00 ST (Old Shep)